Thursday, December 4, 2014

The Name Game

First, let me start by saying thank you. Thank you to everyone who has been a part of this journey so far. We have been blown away by the generosity, the prayer, and the continued support from all of you. We are still in shock at the speed in which donations started coming in, at the people who have appeared out of nowhere for us, and for all the support we are feeling day to day.

We have been in a unique state of being over the last week. We mentioned that our birth mom, *Sarah, had woken up with contractions the weekend before Thanksgiving. Everything is still going well, and we have been on call, basically, in case this baby decides to make an early arrival.

One of our most recent topics has been on names. We have gone through many many possibilities, and I have been playing a unique role in this endeavor, well, unique from my point of view. As a guy, (I'm careful not to say man in this instance), I have given myself the chore of shooting down names that are questionable, or would be easy to make fun of. Becky has been amused at some of my comments, and annoyed slightly at others. I don't want to give any away, in case we use some variant that is slightly harder to manipulate, but I do want to give a couple ideas of names that I have suggested that Becky has shot down.

1. Florida
2. Bacon (everyone would love her)
3. Quinn
4. Pound Cake (middle name. Like "my middle name is danger" only, for huskier people.)

Needless to say, I'm close to being kicked out of the naming party. 

I did have a moment yesterday morning which made me wonder about parenting in general. You know those times when you see a kid doing something in front of his parents, and they don't seem to notice, but you think to yourself "I'd never let my kid do that in public"? Well this happened in a grocery store parking lot yesterday. Now usually when I see stuff that I think is ridiculous, I take a picture of it and send it to my wife, or my friends at work. In this case, it would not have gone well if I had done that.

I had just come out of the grocery store, about 1030 or so on a wednesday morning. I had loaded up the car, and was sitting in the driver seat, trying to look something up, when an Escalade pulled in nearby. The parking lot was pretty empty, so there's a clear view in all directions of this Escalade, as a young mom gets out, gets her 4 ish year old out of the car, and moves to the other side of the car to, I assume, get another little one out of the car. As i look back up from my phone, the little boy has moved back to the driver side of the car, without mom. He makes his way up to the driver's side front wheel, drops his pants to his ankles, and proceeds to urinate on the 20" chrome rims. In the middle of a grocery store parking lot. In the middle of the morning. On the Escalade. Mom had no idea. And then, as if he forgot, he proceeded to walk around to the back of the car, without pulling up his pants.
My children will not be doing that.


If you have been following the blog, or you read our previous post, you have seen that we launched our Puzzle Piece fundraiser on Sunday. Basically, we have put together a piece of art for the nursery, and have had it printed as a puzzle. For a small donation of $10, you can purchase a puzzle piece, we'll write your name on it, and when the puzzle is completed, we're going to hang it in the nursery. You can, of course, purchase multiple pieces, and some day, when this baby is old enough to understand, we're going to show her the names of all the people that helped pray for her, and helped  bring her home. The big news: we have already sold 30 pieces! How awesome is that?

We said that we would post up every week with the names of those who have bought puzzle pieces, who have literally been a piece of bringing this baby home. Well, it hasn't been a week yet, so you'll have to check back to see the names and messages that have been sent in.

Becky got a message last night, from someone who was asking for the donation site information. I get that if you're using a mobile browser to read this, you won't be able to see the link, so here's the donation information.

If you want to send a donation through PayPal, you can, to jesse.brimhall@gmail.com
We also have a fundraising page through YouCaring.com

Thank you so much for everything you're doing to bring this little girl home, and thank you for your continued prayers.

We will make sure everyone knows what's going on as we get more information, and when we head to the hospital.

-Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment